Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday Favorites: Twice

So today I sit down to write about my new favorite thing, Twice.  You've never heard of Twice?  Neither had I until a few weeks ago.  One of my Noonday sisters introduced me to this site, and shopping hasn't been the same for me since.
Since getting involved with Noonday Collection (that's a Friday Favorite for another Friday), I've been looking for ways to reduce my dependence on items, specifically clothing, that are not ethically produced.  Don't get me wrong - in the past, I played along with the greatest of all bargain hunters.  A sweater on sale for $7 at Macy's?  Excellent!  Thrift shopping?  No need!  Not when I can find bargains like a $7 sweater brand new at Macy's!  However, I've been learning a lot lately about the lives of the people that produce those $7 sweaters.  If I can get that sweater for $7, and Macy's is still making money, and the clothing designer is still making money after all the supplies, shipping, stocking, etc. is paid for, how much money REALLY went to the person who physically made my sweater?  Probably pennies, at best.  My American consumerism and demand for great deals is part of what is causing the oppression of people all around the world.  Cheap labor.  Slave labor.  Child labor.  Labor in buildings that come crashing down upon their employees because the workers have no voice.  Anyway, lest I lose you before getting to Twice, suffice it to say that I still don't know the ins and outs of the fashion production business, but I do know enough to know that I've been part of the problem rather than the solution.  So where does that leave a girl who loves her closet?  
Twice, my new (to me) favorite online resale store, is headquartered in San Francisco.  When you create an account on their website, you are initially credited $10 to spend in their store.  Hey, who doesn't love free clothes?!  With each referral you send their way, you also get another $10.  More free clothes!  And the first time you sell something to Twice, you also get $10.  Seriously, what's not to love?  Shipping is a flat $5 fee for all orders under $50.  Load up your cart with $50 or more of clothing and it ships for free.  Now I know what you're thinking:  What if I don't like what I purchase?  Or what if it doesn't fit?  No worries!  Just go to their website, request a return shipping label, print it out, and send your item back for free.  And if you decide not to keep anything from the order they sent you they'll refund the $5 they spent to ship it to you.  And their customer service is a dream!
Can I tell you about just a couple more of my favorite things about this company?  You can sell them your stuff, too!  Request a bag, throw your stuff in there, and ship it to them for free.  They'll pay you in cash or store credit (your choice) for what they keep.  They also just added gift cards to the gifting options they offer customers, just in time for your holiday giving!  Seriously, I just don't have enough good to say about this company.  So far, my experiences with them have been stellar!  I've even gotten a few new with tag items from them!
So what does all of this have to do with the ethical production of clothing?  Are all the clothes they carry ethically produced?  I don't know.  Probably not.  BUT, by shopping second hand, I am no longer the one creating the demand for these items.  The companies that are producing clothing don't make on single dollar off of me.  I can't always buy fair trade.  Many times my budget won't allow me to, or I simply can't find what I'm looking for, but purchasing second has become just one small way I can choose not to participate in the oppression of workers overseas. So get yourself over to Twice!  They add new stuff every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment